Friday, December 15, 2006

Do You Hear What I Hear?

My top ten list of favorite secular Christmas songs:
1. We Need A Little Christmas - Angela Lansbury. From the soundtrack to Mame, not the lame Percy Faith version with half the lyrics left out.
2. Father Christmas - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. I love the last line, "the Christmas we get, we deserve," no sugar coating there.
3. Merry Christmas Darling - The Carpenters. I know it's corny but I can't help it.
4. Blue Christmas – Elvis. of course!
5. Same Old Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg. Like Father Christmas this is yet another bitter-sweet holiday tune, must be the cynic in me.
6. Frosty the Snowman - Jimmy Durante. I wish I had Frosty’s positive outlook on life.
7. Do They Know it's Christmas? - Band Aid. It's so 80s!
8. Happy Christmas (War is Over) - John Lennon & Yoko Ono. Even though, as I’ve been told, “the 60s are over.”
9. You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch - Thurl Ravenscroft. You're a crooked jerky jockey, and you drive a crooked horse, Mr. President. (Opps, I mean, Mr. Grinch!)
10. Christmastime is Here - Vince Guaradli. This is the theme from a Charlie Brown Christmas for anyone who might know the music but not the actual name of the piece.

song: Do You Hear What I Hear?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see any Little Drummer Boy here ... LITTLE DRUMMER BOY! He didn't have anything to give because he was too poor so he played his tired, beat-up little drum.
That one gets me every time!


S

Joanne said...

Also a big fan of Little Drummer Boy! Really! It just doensn't meet the criteria of "non" secular! It's sort of semi-secular, I'd say. Office Christmas Party tonight at the Landfall! It was fun but the dj played a lot of disco, too much for even me! And no, "Come On Eileen." What's an office Christmas Party without Dexy's Midnight Runners, I ask you?