Monday, January 22, 2007

Gimme Three Steps

One of my vices is not having the patience to read instructions; either at all, or all the way through to the end, before starting a project. This has stymied many a knitting and sewing project over the years but the domestic chore it interferes with the most is following a recipe.
I often think that recipes are written to purposefully trip up people like me. I'll be elbow deep in egg stirring when I'll read the following: "crack and whisk four eggs, after having separated the yolks." Or it's something like: "mix all ingredients, except for 1/2 cup of flour and a tbsp. of oil." If it says to mix all the ingredients - I mix all the ingredients, no questions asked. I'm not looking for some kind of surprise ending to the story.
It happened again tonight with green bean casserole. A recipe which is a staple of many a recent college graduate and of mothers with young children. I don't know why this happened because I know exactly what the finished dish is suppose to look like so I can't explain why I fell for, "mix all ingredients, except 2/3 cup French Fried Onions.

song: Gimme Three Steps • artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd

No comments: