Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Ken took C and H fishing last night. They didn't get home until 9:15. Then C cried because I balked at reading both Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland, and, James and the Giant Peach. When I said I wouldn't, I was accused of not being fair. I tried to explain that when you get to stay out one hour and fifteen minutes past your bedtime then it's impossible go through with our usual bedtime routine. This explanation went nowhere of course. I thought of saying "look here, Alice in Wonderland doesn't even make any sense!" But I knew that wouldn't be any good either.
It ended with Ken reading a chapter of James and me reading a page-and-a-half of Alice.
And what's with pjs for kids that have glow-in-the-dark designs on them? What kid allows their bedroom to be dark enough at night to actually view something glowing in the dark? Between the closet light, the night light, and hall light, and the fact that it's not even dark outside at 8PM in June, the intensity of light in his room is equal to that on the sun.
Okay, that's a bit of a hyperbole, but there ain't no way he's going to see anything glowing in the non-existent dark.

song: Darkness on the Edge of Town • artist: Bruce Springsteen

No comments: