Friday, June 08, 2007

Destroyer

Why is it the older I get, the more paranoid I become? I think it's because we have access to so much information. Not useful, helpful, information; just sensational stuff. We hear so much bad news we end up afraid all the time.
This afternoon I was on Main Street. Main Street in Falmouth. Granted it was the less-desirable end of Main Street, but still, it's not exactly a bad part of town. So this guy's walking towards me, and he's kind of intimidating looking, big tattoos on his legs, sleeves ripped out of his leather jacket. He looked pretty tough. Then put his hand into his jacket pocket and I seriously, for a split second, thought he might be about to pull out a gun.
What the heck's wrong with me? Did I seriously think he was going to rob me of my chicken salad with cranberries and walnuts? Apparently, for a moment - I did. Granted I have been mugged, so that does entitle me to a small amount of paranoia. That's actually a pretty funny story except for the guy in the hooded sweatshirt with the knife; but it happened more than 15 years ago, and it didn't happen in Falmouth.
So what was he pulling out of the inner pocket of his black leather jacket? Lip gloss. Otherwise known by its more masculine name: chap stick.

song: Destroyer • artist: The Kinks

No comments: