Sunday, June 24, 2007

I Will

Saturday was beach cleanup day at Washburns Island. As is often the case, the island was mostly clean and disappointingly litter free. It's funny how when you go out for a cleanup you're hoping to encounter some kind of toxic waste heap, the mother lode of all litter piles, just to make it worth your while, instead of being glad that there's at least one spot in town where people aren't dumping their trash indiscriminately.
I wonder if anyone went to the outer beach. Jayne had everything organized and each stretch of beach was preassigned so we couldn't fight like rabid dogs over who got the ocean side; knowing that the most trash would be on the beach facing open water.
But, as it turned out, the closer we got to where the campsites are, the more trash we encountered - including lots of broken glass, a plastic bucket, and a small wooden sign that read: WILL.
I put the sign in my back pocket and wondered out loud who had lost WILL and whether or not it would interfere with their ability to have the WILL to do things.
I, on the other hand, felt extremely fortunate. I have found the WILL. Now I had the WILL. And as you know, where there's a WILL, there's a WAY.

song: I Will • artist: the Beatles

No comments: