Monday, June 18, 2007

It's a Man's Man's Man's World

We (the kids and I) went to Bristol, RI last Monday. We met up with my friend, the one who ploughs the seas, at the Audubon Center and later watched a tanker go through Narragansett Bay from Colt State Park.
"Where is that ship's lifeboats," asked my son, the Titanic enthusiast, who picked me a nice bouquet of wildflowers at the Audubon Center - roots and all. I saw no signs forbidding the picking of wildflowers, but I sensed that sort of thing was probably frowned upon.
I didn't lock my keys in the car this trip though I did miss the right into downtown Warren and when I finally turned around I was headed the wrong way up a one-way street. But it was only for a split second. Is going the wrong way up a one-way street an improvement over locking one's keys in one's car? It's hard to say.
The best exhibit at the Audubon Center was the free show in the parking lot. While we sat outside snacking on watermelon, a mother woodchuck moved her three cubs, one at a time, from the underbrush at one end of the parking lot, to the underbrush at the other end.
Personally I thought the cubs looked more than old enough to walk across the parking lot themselves. The mother was carrying them by the scruff of the neck and they were practically dragging on the ground they were so big. It's obvious they were just milking their mother's good naturedness. They must have been male woodchucks.

song: It's a Man's Man's Man's World • artist: James Brown

No comments: