Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Walking in the Sand

The movie Cast Away was on TV last week. Not something I would have picked myself but you can't really go wrong with Tom Hanks, unless of course, you're watching Bachelor Party. So I watched about 45 minutes before succumbing to the enticement of sleep.
They had a copy of the movie on video at the little library so I checked it out, watching the beginning, up until the plane crash, and then fast forwarding though the scenes I'd already seen. Sorry, there's a plane crash, am I ruining this for you? How do you think he becomes a castaway? Anyway, the fast forwarding was comical. All of a sudden, instead of Tom Hanks, it was Charlie Chaplin penguin walking all over his little stretch of deserted beach: in the water, out of the water, shaking coconuts, spelling out help. Everything is funnier when it's on fast forward. See what today's kids who grow up on DVDs will miss out on?
Who am I kidding, though, today's kids have probably never heard of Charlie Chaplin.

song: Walking in the Sand • artist: The Shangri-Las

No comments: