Saturday, July 07, 2007

It Ought To Be Easier

I had to buy a new toothbrush for C as well as a box of band aids for general household use since we finally used up all the Christmas-themed ones. For most people this would be an easy errand, a quick trip to the pharmacy, but for a let's-stay-away-from-all-character-endorsed-products mommy like myself, having to buy these items was a big problem. All the electric toothbrushes for kids have licensed characters on them - Spiderman, Disney Princesses, Shrek, Cars, etc. The band aids aren't much better, the selection includes: Dora the Explorer, Barbie, and Care Bears.
For the toothbrush I settled for one shaped like an ice cream cone: two scoops, one vanilla and one strawberry, with colored sprinkles. It's ironic, I thought, that the only alternative to a super hero toothbrush is a toothbrush shaped like a food item that's sure to cause cavities. But I went with it anyway.
For band aids, my only option besides beige was a box of neon colors which I had to pay an extra 20¢ for because they were treated with "plus Antibiotic," - which I didn't even want. It was like being penalized for not supporting Disney.
I couldn't even find a suitable birthday card for Ken.

song: It Ought To Be Easier • artist: Lyle Lovett

No comments: