Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My Favorite Things

This morning at swimming lessons the instructors sat the kids in a big circle for roll call and told them to "tell us your name and what your favorite television show is." The other day it was their names and favorite color but today they must have been collecting data for the Nielsen ratings.
As choruses of SpongeBob and Scooby Doo rang out, I panicked. What would my son say? That his favorite show was A Charlie Brown Christmas - a video we own only because I bought for Ken ten years ago? That it was the Big Space Shuttle, a library rental? Perhaps he'd say it was watching the baseball game with daddy.
I need not have worried. Without batting an eye he answered, "Clifford." I don't know if I should be annoyed with my parents for letting him watch PBS or happy that at least he wasn't the loser kid at swim class who doesn't watch television.

song: My Favorite Things • musical: The Sound of Music

No comments: