Sunday, July 22, 2007

Stuck On You

My fellow belly dancer, Laura, commented not unkindly on the stickiness of the conservatory's floor the other night. Dance floors are sometimes made sticky deliberately so that ballet dancers do not slip and fall while performing plies. But while ballerinas wear ballet shoes, belly dancers perform in their bare feet. This is a good thing in many respects, tacky floors aside, it means one less thing I need to remember to bring to class.
Anyway, I told Laura the sticky floor was nothing. I'd walked about my own house bare foot that day and compared to my kitchen and dining room, the conservatory floor was clean enough to eat off.
Mid summer is the worst for floor cleaning. Everything is too moist to sweep up which means lugging out the vacuum cleaning in the searing heat. You can't wash the floor because it never dries, and if the bite-sized crumbs under H's chair are left unattended overnight, by morning they've grown mold.

song: Stuck On You • artist: Lionel Richie

No comments: