Saturday, August 18, 2007

Don't Do It

So, one day in late June you find yourself pregnant. And you're not entirely surprised, after all, you're old enough to know how babies are made. You tell your husband and he's not shocked by the news either. He knew you were in the running though he is a bit amazed that all the equipment is still working.
After this personal revelation who is the next person to find out that you're pregnant? A total stranger, naturally. It's the receptionist at the ob/gyn when you call to make an appointment with the doctor. And even though she says "congratulations," it's hard not to have the feeling that she says that to "all the girls."
Then there's having to tell your parents you're pregnant, which always makes me feel uncomfortable.
When I was a senior in high school I went with a friend to the city to an open house at Boston University. The last thing my mother said when we went out the door of our house was "don't have an accident."
Of course we had an accident.
After Amy had gotten off on the subway to an aunt's house and her car had been towed out of the street, I went up to my boyfriend's dorm room. I told him there was no way I could call my mother and tell her about the accident and miraculously he offered to do it for me.
Unfortunately young love is different from married life and this time around I was out of luck. Ken declined and I had to make the call myself.
Telling your parents you are pregnant is basically admitting to them that you've been having S E X; even though it's with your husband and you've been married almost 8 years, and it was bound to happen sometime. Not to mention that it's not like those first two kids were conceived immaculately. Nevertheless, I'm sure that for parents, the thought of their children having sex is about as uncomfortable for them as it is for us to imagine our parents "doing it."

song: Don't Do It • artist: The Band

No comments: