Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I Remember It Well

All week I've sent the kids to their various activities with photos of the twins to show to people at places like preschool, the skating rink, and story time. It reminded me of a memory I have from when my sister was born. I was in the second grade and I'd come to school that day excited to tell everyone about my new baby sister when this boy whose mother was a nurse at the hospital beat me to the punch. He piped up and told everyone in the class, even the kids I didn't like. I was crestfallen and my teacher, Mrs. O'Hayre, reprimanded the boy for stealing my spotlight.
It's a perfect memory except for one thing. My sister was born in July. I couldn't have been in school at the time. It took my years before I realized that, no matter how vividly I remember it, it never happened. The only explanation I can come up with is that this scenario happened to another child in my class and I've somehow assimilated it into my own memory bank.
Here's another recollection from that same time period, this one I know really happened. I stayed with my aunt and uncle and my cousins, Christine and Karen, while my mother was in the hospital. When my dad called to say I had a little sister, the three of us ran out into the yard in our nightgowns, held hands, and danced around to celebrate.

song: I Remember It Well • musical: Gigi

No comments: