Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Obsession

I'm scheduled to deliver these twins via c-section, which I just wanted to comment on briefly. There are some people who might assume that someone like me (earthy-crunchy, vegetarian, deadhead type), would be opposed to cesarian delivery. First - I'm neither a vegetarian nor a deadhead, but people have thought that. Second - my first son ended up being delivered c-section after it was discovered he was in breech position 10 days after he was due. At the time, the idea that I wouldn't be delivering my baby via the usual route was shocking. It never occurred to me when I was pregnant with C that anything could go wrong. Now, as a seasoned veteran of being pregnant, I've come to realize that it's a miracle that any baby develops and is born without complication or incident. It concerns me less how the baby (or in this case babies) arrives, and more that it arrives safely. Sure, women have delivered babies in the usual method for, well, forever. And lots of them have died doing it. And lots of babies have died too. In my opinion, people who obsess about how their babies get into the world are missing the big picture. All the baby needs to do is arrive safely. You and the baby have at least the next 18 years together - obsess over that.
It's the same with people who spend thousands of dollars on the perfect wedding. The perfect wedding is nice; perfect being a relative term. No doubt it's vitally important that the confectionary flowers on the cake match the color of the bridesmaid dresses - but, say - what about that guy over there in the tux, wouldn't it be better if you were obsessing over whether or not he's someone with whom you sincerely want to spend the rest of your life?
Weddings and births are events to be sure, but it's important to remember that they are merely beginnings.
Of course earlier today I was obsessed with 500 e-mails I may or may not ever need again, so perhaps it's best not to judge others too harshly.

song: Obsession • artist: Animotion

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats of the birth of your twins. I heard there really identical, can't wait for the posts on getting S & N confused. :)

Don't you love Cape Cod its so small town. :)

Kelly B

Joanne said...

You heard correct! They're totally identical. We are in big trouble!
Every town is a small town in its own way isn't it?
Joanne