Friday, February 01, 2008

Moonlight Feels Right

In the hospital it seemed as if all the nurses had different advice on what was right for the twins. Some insisted that I tandem nurse, which is awkward at best. Others said I should stick with what I found comfortable. Some swaddled the twins up like stuffed grape leaves before handing them over to be fed, others stripped them down to "wake them up" before a feeding. Some were militant about babies being fed every three hours no matter what, others echoed my own personal philosophy "never wake a sleeping baby." Some put them in their own separate cribs, others insisted that they "liked to be together." Some changed diapers as a matter of course, others I had to request they do it (hey! I just had major abdominal surgery here!).
All this conflicting advice would have been confusing if I were a nervous first-time parent, or the kind of person who really thrived on taking the advice of experts instead of being who I am: the kind of person who would rather blunder through something on my own. On the other hand, it was comforting that none of them agreed on how things should be done. It leaves the door open for us blunderers to go with whatever feels right.

song: Moonlight Feels Right • artist: Starbuck

No comments: