Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Time Passages

Kindergarten registration was last week.
I tried to persuade the school administration that the twins were precocious and that I was signing them up for fall semester, but they didn't buy it.
In examining the passage of time I wondered if the past five years felt like five years or did it feel more like that Monty Python skit "The Argument?"
"That was never five years."
"Yes, it was."
"No, it wasn't."
"Yes, it was."
What I do know is that when school registration rolls around for my other children each time it will feel as if it came up faster than the time before. It's like seeing a movie for the second time, once you know what's going to happen, the film seems half as long.
At the elementary school, lots of paperwork needed to be filled out, most of it names and phone numbers. On the creative writing side, one question asked parents to describe activities their child enjoys. I drew a blank at first but then pulled it together and scribbled something about blocks and making up games with his younger brother. Too bad I couldn't think up a more colorful response, sometime along the lines of, "my son enjoys taking apart and rebuilding small engines and creating computer programs."

song: Time Passages • artist: Al Stewart

No comments: