Sunday, June 01, 2008

How Great Thou Art

Friday was a first, my first time driving into Boston and Cs first trip to the MFA. I have been in the passenger seat many times to that part of the city but have never driven there myself (I usually opt for public transport). However with the help of my co-pilot, who was capable and a good sport to boot, we chaperoned the pre-school field trip to the Museum of Fine Arts. That means that not only did I drive into the city, I did it with a car full of five-year olds. As you may or may not know, despite having four children of my own, I'm not the least bit at ease around kids - in fact, other people's children terrify me. But, I felt guilty that I had not been available to help out with preschool much this year (I haven't even brought in snacks lately), and I like going to the museum, so this seemed a good fit.
I'm proud to say that with the exception of almost hitting that guy in the pickup truck at the intersection by the North Falmouth Library a mere 30 seconds after leaving the school, things went pretty well.
You may think that taking a group of three, four, and five year olds to a museum of that scale is a crazy endeavor and you may be right. Yes, some children cried, alarms were tripped, I was covered in spit up before we left the school parking lot, one kid threw herself on the ground in the museum and refused to walk, and another just plain threw up, but there were real mummies to be seen and who among us doesn't dig a mummy?
My son spent his time in the museum taking photographs of the art instead of looking at it.

song: How Great Thou Art • artist: Carl Boberg

No comments: