Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Falling Slowly

One Christmas Eve when I was around the age when nagging suspicions - like all those presents in one night, flying reindeer, houses without chimneys, and handwriting that looked just like my mothers - begin to surface and swirl around Santa, I remember my father coming home in the late afternoon with a wooden truck.
"I was just walking and it fell out of the sky," he told me.
"It must have fallen off Santa's sled as he was flying over," he added.
Woah. A bonus gift.
For years after that truck was outside in my sandbox. My most favorite Christmas gift that I'd never requested or even wanted.
H went to bed tonight, as per his request, with the covers over his head. He was taking the lyrics to the song "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" very literally.

song: Falling Slowly • soundtrack: Once

No comments: