Monday, December 22, 2008

Like To Get To Know You

My cousins hosted their annual holiday gathering at my aunt and uncle's house Sunday night. H and C had fun playing with my cousin's children, Lily and James. At one point during the evening I went up to the guest room they were all playing in and tried to make small talk.
"Is this the bed that you're going to sleep in tonight?" I asked James.
"Yeah, well, you know, my mom, her mom and dad own this house," he carefully explained to me.
I nodded.
A few minutes later Lily came out with a Fisher Price a-frame house, the same one her mother and I used to play with 30-plus years ago, which was in remarkably good shape all things considered. Coincidentally (or perhaps not) Uncle Mike and Aunt Betty's original summer house was an a-frame.
I tried a new tack. "You know when I was a little girl your mom and I used to play with that same house over at your Grandpa and Grandma's house."
"This is my Grandpa and Grandma's house," said Lily.
It seemed like a good time for the creepy old lady to leave the little kids alone, so I went back down stairs and into the living room of the house owned by the parents of James's mom. The house that also IS Lily's Grandma and Grandpa's house.

song: Like To Get To Know You • artist: Spanky & Our Gang

No comments: