Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I'll Fly Away

The nest in our window box now has eggs in it. I don't know how many but C's been keeping a pretty good tab.
Normally in this situation I would try and use the back door so as not to continually disturb the bird but it's next to impossible with the twins. Whenever I go anywhere with them it's at least three trips back and forth to the car to get everyone in and that's assuming I get into the car and can find my keys or haven't forgotten anything. If you count trips that include C (bang!) and H (bang!) that's a total of five trips minimum.
I feel guilty that all my children are putting her future children in peril.
I thought Rufus would sit by the door and watch her but there's not much to see. Either the bird is in the nest or waiting in the holly bush for us to leave so she can get back on the nest. Instead I find myself standing by the front door peeking out at her.
At most the next is three feet from the front door and I'm afraid that if we swing the door wide open in the middle of the night she's going to fly right in the house (it's happened before), and that wouldn't be good for anyone.
Usually when I try to watch her on her nest she sees me, gives me the bird equivalent of the hairy eyeball, and flies off, but sometimes she doesn't notice me and stays.
I wonder what she's thinking about while she sits there. Probably the same things all mothers think:
"I wonder if we've built this nest in a good school district?"
"All I ever do is sit on this nest. I gotta get out more. What am I doing with my life? I'm not a chick anymore."
And finally:
"I wonder if I will have any marketable job skills left when these eggs finally fledge?"

song: I'll Fly Away • artist: Albert E. Brumley

No comments: