Thursday, April 09, 2009

Reunited

Another disappointingly cold spring day. It was a four baby blanket night. That's baby blankets on top of me while I'm watching tv. I don't remember how many I dumped on top of the actual babies. You're probably thinking, "well at least it was sunny," but that's because your expectations are so low - if it's not raining then it's a pretty good day. The only thing good about Monday was that after loading the twins into the van in the pouring (and I mean pouring) rain to go to preschool pick up, the song playing on Sirrus when I turned the car on was Prince's Purple Rain.
Spring on Cape Cod is like a bad boyfriend. You keep breaking up with him and saying, "never again," and then in March he comes around again. "I've changed," he promises, "please take me back."
So you think that this time he'll be different and you look into his green eyes and you say, "okay."
And when you do take him back, you can't tell any of your friends. "I'm believing in spring again," you'd say while they all shake their heads slowly at you, looks of concern and disappoint spreading over their features.
As soon as you let him in the door though it starts all over again. Slumping on the couch. Never leaving the house. Refusing to go places with you. Giving you the cold shoulder.
Sure, there are a few good days. Days when he's sunny and warm and brings you flowers. But for the most part he's not living up to his end of the bargain.
So you break it off again and he takes it pretty well but as he's leaving he turns, and in his best Arnold impersonation tells you, "I'll be back."

song: Reunited • artist: Peaches and Herb

No comments: