Saturday, June 06, 2009

Free Bird

Yesterday I read about a mom who writes a blog on how to save money. Thirty-thousand people a month tune in to read her advice.
I can't remember if the theme was saving money in general or saving money specifically in regards to meal planing but hell, I'll give it a try.
Having four kids is a great way for you to save money because you won't have time to shop for anything except birthday presents for other people's children.
The best way to save money at the supermarket is to never, never take your children there. Leave all grocery shopping to your able-bodied husband provided he can read a list and isn't afraid to pick up the occasional feminine hygiene product.
Another way in which I save money is by encouraging my cousin to shop for kids clothing at the Madaket Mall. When you have four kids it doesn't matter the size of the clothes - they are bound to fit someone.
I used to outfit myself by shopping entirely at rummage sales and thrift shops. I love to rummage, even at the dollar a pound store when the price increased to $1.50 a pound. This has led to me having scores and scores of clothing. Now I've started to purge. All above-the-knee dresses - gone. All dresses that drag on the floor and have tripped me while climbing the stairs - gone as well.
I find myself having to mail order clothing now. Preferably from catalogues that push organic cotton yoga wear to people who don't do yoga. However, having four kids saves me money in this department as well because even though I am mail ordering expensive clothing, I need much less of it since I barely ever leave the house
So there you go - my tips on how to save money.
I'm ready for my book deal (and my close up) now.

song: Free Bird • Lynyrd Skynyrd

No comments: