Friday, October 23, 2009

Sugar, Sugar

My sister once took me to a vegetarian restaurant in Portland run by Seventh Day Adventists that, in addition to delicious food, sold vials of fat with labels sporting titles such as "1 hamburger;" which were informative and more than a little grotesque and made me go in for a second helping of seaweed salad.
I recently heard David Kessler, the former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, on NPR saying that there's 16 and a half teaspoons of sugar in a 20-ounce bottle of Coke. So, for those who need a visual aid, here ya go. I like the image of putting the sugar in the baby food container - it's especially disturbing. You'll notice that I've used a diet bottle of soda - that's all I could dig out of the recycling bin at work. I don't know the sugar difference between regular and diet soda, (I only caught the last five minutes of the interview), but I would guess it's still up there.
So here's a possibly misguided and misinformed public service message of the day from a complete layman who should probably just mind her own business and go back to loading the washing machine.

song: Sugar, Sugar • artist: The Archies

No comments: