Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thick As A Brick

Tonight I finished making enough orange juice carton wallets for C to give one to everybody in his class. That, coupled with finishing Harry Potter, might just be my crowing achievements for 2010.
On a less stellar note, I screwed up making chocolate pudding.
Imagine my surprise, having fished the cardboard box out of the recycling when the pudding failed to set after two hours in the fridge, when I read that the pudding must be cooked "over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full bubbling boil."
Who ever heard of heating up pudding?
You don't heat pudding. You just mix in the milk and stick it in the fridge.
That's what makes pudding so superior to Jello.
So I took my circa 1970s Tupperware pudding bowls out of the fridge, dumped my watery pudding back into the mixing bowl and stuck my poor excuse for pudding into the microwave, because I was dammed if I was going to waste two cups of milk or be made a fool of by a box pudding mix. At one point in the pouring a pudding bowl fell directly into the mixing bowl, splattering me with pudding which I guess I deserved for not having read the directions in the first place.
For the record, I make spanakopita for dinner. Spanakopita!

song: Thick As A Brick • artist: Jethro Tull

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Funny story. What on earth is a orange juice carton wallet?

Joanne said...

Hey Kelly,
These are the wallets but watch out, once you start making them they are kind of addictive. http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/carton-wallet-675068/
BTW, the pudding? Totally inedible!

Kelly said...

I'll have to try it, but I don't think I'll be making them for a whole class (how many is that?). I think you meant to buy instant pudding, not cook and serve. :-)

Kelly said...

I just watched the video, that is cool. I MUST MAKE THEM!

Joanne said...

I made 25 of them. The class is 18, plus teacher, plus teacher's assistant, plus the art teacher, plus the librarian, etc. etc. The twins drink about a half-gallon of orange juice a day between them so collecting the cartons wasn't difficult.
I blame Ken for the pudding (he does the shopping) but I suppose I could have glanced at the directions.
We all know what it means to "assume!"