Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Will Wait

Hootennanny: a gathering at which folksingers entertain often with the audience joining in.
We're planning a trip to the AMC Lodge in Western Mass tomorrow and I was on the lodge's website checking it out and obsessing over how many flashlights to bring when I saw they had a link for places to eat. I opened it, because we're only pseudo campers you know, and up came a listing for the Dream Away Lodge in Becket. Along with great food, the Dream Away is famous (at least according to the Appalachian Mountain Club) for its Wednesday night hootenannies.
Hootenanny. What a hilarious word. It might newly rank with Schenectady and Gnip Ganop in terms of my favorite words.
Today I'm working on the calendar of events for the paper's In Season supplement and see this under the listings for Highfield Hall: Hootenanny on the Hill, July 17, 2 to 6 PM.
I am so going.
And yes, there are songs with the word hootenanny in the title (lots of 'em), but I wasn't familiar with any and therefore didn't feel right about using them.

song: I Will Wait • artist: Hootie and the Blowfish

No comments: