Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ridin' in My Car

It's amazing the trust our kids put in us. Not that I'll make wise decisions or judge squabbles fairly, but that I can successfully drive them to the place where we want to go.
It was the same when I was a kid. I never doubted for a minute that my parents didn't know where they were going. And that was before Mapquest and GPS. Of course they knew. They were grown ups. Grown ups just know.
There we were on Monday morning - at 3:30 AM, driving in complete darkness to a town I haven't been to since I was a kid looking for some battlefield and not only that but once I find said field I have to find some nearby parking.
And there my kids are, in the back, blissfully oblivious to the fact that their directionally-impaired mother is driving around in the dark - lost. And yes, it didn't actually occur to me that it would still be dark when we got there.
They are confidently reading by book light and I'm in a panic thinking who am I trying to kid here? I once missed a Falmouth verses Barnstable hockey game because I couldn't find the Hyannis skating rink.
Then there was parking.
There's nothing worse than the sinking feeling that you're about to deprive your sons of the shot heard round the world because you couldn't parallel park on a Lexington side street to save your life.

song: Ridin' in My Car • artist: She & Him

No comments: