Friday, October 19, 2012

Galileo

Yesterday's NY Times contained a tech story about apps and included a rated listing of apps which have the sole purpose of suggesting to people what apps they ought to buy. Your personal app shoppers. The thought being, there are so many apps out there, you really need an app just to keep up with them.
Woah. If you don't know an app exists isn't that proof that you don't need it?
Are you better or worse off for knowing about apps that you previously didn't know about?
Apps seem like they are getting more existential all the time.
If an app falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
What is the sound of one app clapping?
Have we all gone app happy?
I confess. I'm not a fan of apps.
You might say I'm anti-app. Though you could also argue that since I'm app-less I'm just suffering from app envy.
In which case maybe apps are more Freudian that existential.


song: Galileo • artist: Indigo Girls

2 comments:

Larissa T. said...

Well, I don't know... I researched a couple of articles on apps when I got my first phone to be informed on what's out there. If I didn't look for them, I wouldn't know they existed, and if I didn't know they existed they wouldn't stop being awesome and maybe benefiting me if only I knew about them... like iBooks for example, one of my faves.

I guess it depends on each of us and our own opinions. I get that there might be way to many apps.. I agree, but then again, at least there's something for each of us?

P.S. We're having a party and would love it if you joined! http://papaisapreacher.blogspot.com/2012/10/tidbits-thursday.html

Joanne said...

Hi Larissa,
I'm a bit rash, I know. My husband has some apps that he uses and likes a lot. I guess I just find the idea of keeping up with all of it rather overwhelming.
I'd love to participate in your blog hop - thanks for asking!