Sunday, August 06, 2017

W is for Wilde

No one has ever asked me this question, “if you could have any celebrity, living or dead, to your house for dinner who would you choose?” If anyone did ask, I might answer, Oscar Wilde. It’s true that I haven’t read Walden but I have read “The Picture of Dorian Gray.”
Oscar Wilde died in 1900 at age 46, three years after being imprisoned for “gross indecency with men.” Arresting and jailing someone because they are gay seems about as far-fetched as having a portrait in one’s attic that becomes aged, old, and ugly, while its owner stays ever youthful.

1 comment:

The Silver Fox said...

Enjoyed the book and the 1946 motion picture about Dorian Gray. I've read a lot about Oscar Wilde over the years, and he sounds absolutely fascinating. A great choice for a dinner guest.